Sunday, September 2, 2018
What is a server?
I have a new post up on my company webpage. I've been meaning to post this for a while. After the DNC was hacked in 2016, there were questions (mostly by people chasing one conspiracy theory or another) that the FBI made a mistake by not taking the DNC's server. Not only is taking the server not a typical practice (especially where the owner is a victim and not a perpetrator), it would be extraordinarily difficult. This post breaks down what a server actually is. For readers who are working in IT, there's probably nothing new to see here. For readers coming from a non-technical background, I hope this will prove interesting and informative.
The gist of my post is that, at one time, many servers were basically souped-up desktop computers. This is generally not the case anymore. The resources that ultimately make up a server may span several physical devices and each of those devices may support dozens of servers. It's a many-to-many relationship. Check out the post:
What is a server?
If you need a computer or mobile forensics consultant, I'm available: Trace Digital Forensics, LLC.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Adversaries keep getting faster
According to CrowdStrike’s 2025 Global Threat Report, the average breakout time, the window between an adversary gaining initial access and ...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete